The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) took immediate action to help the snook population rebound after a prolonged cold spell in January 2010. The cold snap, which led the FWC to close the fisheries, had a much greater effect on the snook population on the Gulf Coast than it did on the Atlantic Coast. The Atlantic fishery was closed for nine months while the Gulf fishery remained closed until September 2013.
The latest stock assessment shows that catch rates for the snook populations have returned to pre-cold event levels. The quick recovery demonstrates that the FWC’s conservative management strategies resulted in abundant snook populations prior to the cold snap and that this large biomass was useful in population resilience. During the closure, spawning occurred without the threat of fishing mortality. As a result the number of young snook multiplied and adult snook grew larger.
On the heels of the 2016 Snook Symposium, FWC research administrator Luiz Barbieri explained, “Stock assessments provide objective, quantitative metrics on the status of stocks. They represent the main tool the Fish and Wildlife Research Institute uses to provide scientific advice for management of Florida’s fisheries stocks.”
The FWC manages snook in the Gulf differently than it does snook in the Atlantic because of their genetic differences and separate life history patterns. Snook from the Gulf typically inhabit a single estuary for their entire lives, while snook from the Atlantic migrate much greater distances. Snook species found in Florida are located at the northern limit of their thermal range. They can experience thermal stress when water temperatures decline in the winter months. Because snook is one of Florida’s most popular recreational fisheries, the FWC works with the fishing community to help develop management options.
For more information about snook research, go to MyFWC.com/Research, select “Saltwater” then “Saltwater Fish” and then click on “Snook.”
Florida Snook Ruler
This is by far the most innovative and graphically detailed Snook ruler on the market today.
- REGULATIONS – Includes current state regulations for Snook-both east and west coasts of Florida
- PORTABLE – The Snook ruler is lightweight, flexible and easy to use. Made from a durable PVC vinyl, you can easily roll it up in your backpack or stow it in a boat compartment.
- ACCURATE – Our UV coated printing process produces true to scale rulers. The PVC vinyl material is dimensionally stable unlike many other cheaply made rulers which are not accurate.
- FISH SCALE – As a bonus feature included on this ruler is the patented weight estimation based on the growth scale for Snook. Using state data, the Snook ruler offers both east coast and west coast of Florida growth scale information. No other ruler offers this innovation.
- VIVID COLORS – Our award-winning graphic design offers fisherman the quickest ruler measurement, highest fin to ruler contrast and the best option for catch, photo and release.
- Perfect Fisherman’s Gift
- Made in USA
- 2 x 45 -inches
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed
- Endorsed by the Snook and Gamefish Foundation
- Measure fish up to 45 inches
- Beach, boat or kayak friendly
The high quality Snook Ruler is the perfect fishing accessory for those of you in the pursuit of Snook. Each ruler is clearly marked with the slot measurements for both Atlantic Snook and Gulf Snook. Current regulations and bag limit details are displayed in a user friendly format. The patented weight estimating feature provides a scale for both Gulf and Atlantic Snook. The ruler is made from a durable waterproof PVC coated vinyl. The ruler is easily stowed and portable. For any questions, comments or suggestions send an e-mail to email@example.com
You may also like…